DIY | The Power of Honey 🍯
I’m sure all of you have heard and seen the power of honey. From helping heal a sore throat to helping brighten up your skin complexion. There are many benefits of honey and you can combine honey with many different ingredients to make wonderful face masks and body scrubs.
Here are a few of our favourite at home honey face masks:
1) To help reduce scars: mix 2 tbsp of honey with 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Apply this mixture over scars or dark spots and leave on overnight and rinse off in the morning. Lemon juice provides you with a great source of Vitamin C, which is great for reducing scar pigmentation.
2) To help brighten skin: mix 1 tbsp of honey with 2 tbsp of yogurt. Mix the 2 ingredients together and once it becomes a thick paste apply it to your face and rinse off with cold water after the paste has hardened on your skin. Yogurt is rich in lactic acid and when applied to the skin it helps dissolve the dead skin away, therefore brighting your complexion.
3) To help with acne: mix 2 tbsp of honey with 1/2 tsp of nutmeg. Apply to areas where you have acne. Both ingredients will help with the reduction of our acne. Nutmeg contains anti-inflammatory properties which will help reduce pimples. Nutmeg also has curative properties which will help heal scars from acne.
4) To help with blackheads: mix 2 tbsp of honey and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. You can apply this to the affected area and rinse off after 30 minutes. Do not use this if you have sensitive skin as the cinnamon may be too harsh for you. Cinnamon contains antibacterial properties which help eliminate bacteria, in turn helping prevent blackheads.
5) To help shrink pores: mix 1 tbsp of honey and 1 egg white. Once this magnificent mask has dried on your face rinse it off with warm water. The egg white will help in making your pores look smaller. This mask is one of our favourite. Egg whites contain astringent properties which help shrink pores by tightening the skin. For my vegan glowing goddesses, you can substitute the egg white with flax seed gel.
6) To help with dry skin: mix 2 tbsp of honey with 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Mix the honey and oil and use it as a face wash and rinse off with warm water. It will give your dry skin an instant boost. Coconut oil is naturally antibacterial and moisturizing due to the natural fats it contains. Tip: coconut oil is a great overnight moisturizer.
7) To help with wrinkles: mix 1 tbsp of honey with 1 tbsp of oatmeal. Once you mix these two ingredients together apply them to your face and leave on for about 20 minutes and rinse off with warm water. It will help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles as it helps smooth and hydrate the skin. Oatmeal is rich in anti-oxidant properties which will help reduce damage done to the skin. Oatmeal can help with inflammation and smooth skin.
8) To help smooth skin: mix 1 tbsp of honey, 1 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp of baking soda. Gently massage your face and body for about 5 minutes with this scrub and rinse off. If you don’t have sensitive skin then you can add in brown sugar to make the scrub coarse. As soon as you rinse the scrub off you will notice your amazingly smooth skin. This is our favourite scrub to use, its affordable and actually works wonders. Olive oil contains antioxidants and helps moisturize the skin which can help with premature aging. Baking soda is a mild exfoliant which is great for removing dead skin cells. Baking soda also contains antibacterial properties which help in preventing breakouts.
9) To help with oily skin: mix 2 tbsp of honey with 1 tbsp of aloe vera. Use this mixture to wash your face everyday to reduce the excess oil. Aloe Vera contains antioxidants, vitamin A and Vitamin C and is highly anti-inflammatory.
Honey has many antibacterial and healing properties that are great for healing and hydrating your skin. Honey also contains antioxidants which is great for slowing down signs of aging. If your looking for a complexion boost the best thing to use is honey! It will provide you with great hydration and sooth the skin all while providing you with a fantastic glow.
Make sure to do a test patch first with any new products and DIY projects. Be careful of products that you are allergic to or may be sensitive to.
Let us know your results of these DIY honey masks and if use any other honey masks that we did not mention.